Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Love Letters

Having my wife and children away for the last 10 days has gotten me to thinking a lot about our relationship. More specifically, how much I missed her and how I wanted to show her that when she gets back home.

I did a few of the things that seemed pretty obvious. I cleaned the whole house. I got rid of all the clutter that had accumulated since the end of the school year. Tossed some old toys. Donated some old clothes. Did every bit of laundry I could find. Dishes. Mopping. Dusting. Vacuuming. I realize that if she happens to walk in the door after the three boys (and the whirlwind they create) that she may not get the full effect of the work I did. So I needed to do something more.

I picked up some flowers and put them on the table in the front hallway. But I still wanted to do more this time.

I bought a blank card and decided to write her a love letter. Now, I enjoy writing, but putting into words how much I had missed her wasn’t as easy as I would have thought. I could have taken the easy way out and just found a nice “missed you” card at the store, but that seemed insufficient. I needed to put it in my own words.

For those of you that don’t enjoy writing, it may be even more difficult to put your feelings down on paper. Here are some things you need to help you get started:

1. No matter what you write, your wife/husband is going to love getting your letter
The fact that you took the time to write how you feel about them is going to let them know your love for them is important to you.
2. Write what you feel, deep down
Don’t be afraid. Give yourself permission to show your passionate side. It may sound a little silly, but when they read it your openness will warm them to the core.
3. Don’t wait for a special occasion
This doesn’t mean you can forget the cards/letters on your anniversary, but you don’t need to limit yourself to these occasions. Any day is a good day to tell them how much you love them.
4. Delivering your letter
If you think far enough ahead, I suggest putting it in the mail. We all like getting letters in the mail, but a romantic love letter from your spouse tops the list.

I hope this helps put a little spark in your love life. Who knows, maybe you’ll get a love letter back from them someday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome advice. I love writing letters so much. While my wife and I were courting, I was travelling the country with a ministry. We got something called "Circle Journey" I think you can google it... but it's a two-way journal for couples/penpals to write in.

Now that we're married, I love writing small, meaningful, silly or playful notes and leaving them in intersting places: her wallet/purse, in a makeup case, the pocket of her robe, under the pillow, in a shoe, gym bag, etc.

sometimes she finds some I long forgot I planted!

Being a dad and husband is the best!!!

Jeff
www.mybowsandarrows.wordpress.com

bryan12a said...

Great article on Love Letters. Will try it ASAP!

Also good to see that you are a triathlete. Encouraging to see strong Christian husbands and fathers who have healthy interest and can be a blessing to others.