Monday, December 8, 2008

You Are Either All-In or Not

When we decide to accept that there is just one God, and that he is completely sovereign over all things, than we are all-in.

When I talk to people about my faith, in particular my life before accepting Christ as my savior, they often try to dissect it. "Well, you don't really think that being addicted to drugs was part of His plan for you, do you?" I can only answer that, yes, I do believe it was part of His plan for me. I also believe that when my wife was declared legally-blind when she was just 17, that this was part of His plan for her. It may be hard to accept at the time, but it is easy to see now how God used both of these things to bring us together.

Now, I wouldn't recommend anyone else try to take the path that I took, but it was absolutely what had to happen to me in order for me to be where I am today. Jesus was in control of my life, even though I hadn't accepted him. He knew the plans he had for me even before I was born.

Having the faith and the understanding that there is a God who is in control of all things makes it easier for us to accept the things that come our way. Life still happens. There are health struggles. Financial struggles. Relationship struggles. But accepting the truth that we are not in control, but that there is a God who loves us that is, it takes some of the weight off of our shoulders and remain focused on the blessings that we have. It's kind of nice having some of that pressure gone. I sure didn't react well when I thought it was all on me.

No comments: