Thursday, November 6, 2008

In It To Finish - Sharing the Gospel of God's Grace

Acts 20:24 "However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me - the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace."

It is something that has been gnawing at me since the day I began my walk with Christ. I am in a safe environment around my wife, my in-laws, the people we see at Church and at the kid's school. There were a lot of people praying for me to accept Jesus as my savior. After five years of marriage it finally happened, and it was an answer to so many prayers. At the same time I knew that my parents would have a hard time accepting the path that I have chosen for my life. Not the wife I chose, or the jobs I've tried (and failed at). But being raised in a Jewish family, it would be hard for them to accept my conversion.

As we have dealt with a number of struggles over the past few years, they have often asked us how we are able to respond the way that we do. How can we stay calm in the face of such tremendous adversity? Over and over we tell them that everything happens the way it is supposed to. That there is a purpose behind all of it, and that God is in control. As long as we truly believe that, what is the sense in getting frustrated when we get sick, or when the money gets tight? Even though we say it this way, I've never been able to decide if they really understand that it is our relationship with Christ that gives us that security, or if they just think we are saying "God" in a general sense.

They know that we are raising our children as Christians. That they love the Lord. That we all pray for them. Particularly my oldest son, Austin. He often gets emotional thinking about the fact that his Mima and Papa won't be with him forever in heaven because they don't believe in Christ. Being eight, he has no problem telling them that. So we pray for them at home. Whenever the boys spend the night with them they bring up their bibles and ask them to read the daily devotions, just like we do at home.

The verse above tells me that I need to share my testimony, which I love doing with people. But when it comes to my parents, my voice goes away. These are two of the most important people in my life, yet I'm afraid to even approach the topic with them.

So I continue to pray for them. I continue to pray that one day He will give me the strength to sit down and talk to them about it. I just hope that day comes before it is too late. Before the race is over for any of us.

Not only do I want to finish the race, but I want to finish it well.

For all unsaved family members we continue to pray in His name. Amen.

No comments: